Monday, July 25, 2011

Are you ready for some football?!?!?! For realz!

It's over, it's over. The 136 day lockout is finito! Once again, it holds true that football does not really start until end of July! However, just as I predicted it was one hell of a roller-coaster ride to get to this point, from the Owners' vote last Thursday (gratuitous link due to this very bLawg getting cited) to today, but I do not think it is premature to say that the lockout is over and there should be football in the near future!
I am glad this was able to be worked out before I had to take my California Bar hiatus for the next few days. The deal to end the lockout was negotiated through the weekend and was unanimously approved today by the player's 32-member executive committee. All that is left is for the players named in the anti-trust lawsuit to accept the deal and notify the federal court in Minnesota of their acceptance. Then the players need to vote to recertify their union. The mad dash free agency will start tomorrow at 10:00 AM est tomorrow.

As of right now, I'm going on hiatus but I will be back on Friday. After combing through the settlement, I will provide some minutia analysis on the new terms that the mainstream media will most likely avoid (all non-economic terms) including player conduct, workers compensation, retirement benefits, drug testing, issues related to retired players, and what affects this CBA will have on the ongoing NBA lockout and MLB's expiring deal.

Once again, good luck to any legal eagles taking any bar this week. At least we, or at least I, have one less things to worry about. I hope to tweet some updates regarding recertification or other major issues, so don't forget to follow me.

No comments:

Post a Comment